The 50th Annual Awards Luncheon
The 50th Annual Awards Luncheon on June 8, 2013, celebrated the 64th year of the Byrnes Foundation and its scholarship program.
Attorney Cliff Rollins presented the keynote address.
The Foundation introduced a video of thanks to Dr. Bill Rowe for his immense contributions to the Foundation and the Byrnes Scholars.
Ebbie Cruddas and Chris Rowe, Dr. Rowe's daughter and son, announced a scholarship to be named after Dr. Rowe. The scholarship will be awarded in 2014 to a candidate that demonstrates the following characteristics in a manner that honor Dr. Rowe: service to others, unselfishness, love and caring for their fellow man and being kind, courteous and considerate. The scholarhip will be funded by Dr. Rowe's children and grandchildren. The family hopes to make the scholarship a recurring stipend awarded every fifth year.
The Foundation announced 1975 Scholar Dal Poston as chair of its board of directors. He succeeds Dr. Rowe, who remains on the board as a director.
Other highlights included the naming of Foundation executive secretary Kenya White as an honorary Byrnes Scholar, the announcement of 1986 Scholar Natalie Owens as recipient of the 2013 Jake Salley Alumni Sevice Award and the introduction of 1982 Scholar Jay Hayes as a Foundation director.
The Foundation introduced seven scholarship recipients as its class of 2013. They are:
- Garrett Gabriel Graham from Batesburg-Leesville, SC, attending The Citadel
- Matthew David McMinn from Taylors, SC, attending North Greenville University
- Coleman James Parler from Lexington, SC, attending The University of South Carolina
- Lauren Elizabeth Simons from St. George, SC, attending The University of South Carolina
- Tracy Malik Stansfield-Ryles from Hampton, SC, attending Wofford University
- Tyhescia Stone from Rembert, SC, attending Charleston Southern University
- Camille Grace Swanson from Duncan, SC, attending Clemson University
The scholarship is for $13,000. Since 1949 the Byrnes Foundation has awarded 1,090 scholarships.
Scholars from the 2009 class were recognized as graduating seniors. They are: Jennifer Deaton from the University of South Carolina, Megan Garland from Clemson University, Daniel Bonano from the College of Charleston, and Aaron Tisdale from Morris College. Another member of the class, Barbara Bell, will graduate next year and will be recognized at the 2014 luncheon.