2013 Application Process Closed
The application process for 2013 is closed. Scholarship announcements will be posted to the website in early June. Application packets for 2014 will be available December 2013. Please check back then.
2012 Byrnes Scholars Named
During the 2012 application process, we received an overwhelming 120 applications. Eighteen of those were invited to participate in an interview and six were awarded a 2012 scholarship. There are currently 26 scholars attending 11 colleges throughout the state. The scholarship is for $13,000. Since 1949 the Byrnes Foundation has awarded 1,069 scholarships.
- Jewel Eckmyer, from Aiken SC, attending Charleston Southern University
- Erika Hubbard, from North SC, attending Clemson University
- Susannah Nunamaker, from Blair SC, attending Lander University
- Jeffrey Tyler Peake, from Aiken SC, attending USC – Columbia
- Chad Pope, from Aiken SC, attending USC – Columbia
- Savannah Weber, from Summerville SC, attending USC – Columbia
Graduating 2008 Scholars
The James F. Byrnes Foundation recognized its 2012 graduating scholars at its 49th annual luncheon June 9, 2012, in Columbia. The graduating scholars, from the 2008 scholars class (and the hometown of each), are, pictured:
- Benjamin Rudolph Pope, Beaufort SC, graduated from Clemson University
- Alexandra Trabolsky, Myrtle Beach SC, graduated from College of Charleston
- Faith Frances Waitman, Landrum SC, graduated from Wofford University
- Joshua Edward Blackburn, Aynor SC, graduated from Clemson University
- Brittany Victoria Greene (not pictured), Moncks Corner SC, graduated from Clemson University
- Tianna Jalissa Gallishaw (not pictured),Andrews SC, graduated from Clemson University
The Byrnes Scholars Site
The information concerning Byrnes Scholarships and The Byrnes Foundation is taken from materials developed by The Byrnes Foundation, especially the 1988 index to The James F. Byrnes Foundation.
The historical information on Mr. Byrnes was developed by The Byrnes Scholars under the editorial guidance of Neil Johnson and Matt Lockhart. The editors wish to thank David Damon, Rachel C. Drake, Johnna Ferguson, Dr. Sara Hollingsworth, Cal Johnson, Brad Jordan, Elaine Russell Matlock, Pam Galloway McElveen, Barbara Tartaglia, Margaret B. Walden and Charles Wall.
The Byrnes Scholars information is taken from various sources, including the organization's bylaws and various materials developed by The Byrnes Foundation.